Sunday, October 24, 2010

The Ancient Japanese Art of Kar-ee-oh-kayy, and other tales...

Wednesday nights are perfect karaoke nights! WRONG. Not when you have to get up at 7:45 the next morning in order to get your residence permit! Let me rewind:

Wednesday night we found Mike's Irish Pub. My new favorite place. In fact, I'm considering having my birthday party there! Anyway, Mike's is the greatest! We sang about 10 songs, and were able to bond with other girls in our program, which was nice. We also made some nice Greek friends that let us dance on stage with them during Mamma Mia and Dancing Queen! Kelly and I were the jerks still singing while the bar was closing... Best part: when I twisted my ankle outside and skinned my knee. Solid, just keeping my klutz record up... I'm three falls in three weeks, perfect game. 

Next day I successfully woke up in time to meet at the center at 7:45. Luckily, about 6 other girls who had gone last night were with me, so I was not alone in wanting to die on the trolley. We successfully got our residence permits and continued with a full day of classes. 

Thursday night we kept it low key and checked out Domahar, the angry biker bar. The inside looks like a pirate ship, and they played American music, so there was no complaining on our end! 

Friday night we met up with students we had met through our school that are from Crete, but go to school in Athens. We had met them Monday night when they hosted us at their residence hall for dinner. They were taking us to a traditional Greek club, called Posidonio that had the traditional greek music and dancing called bizooki (sp?). It was INCREDIBLE! I loved it because we went with Greeks, and that just made the whole experience way more authentic! There was live music and they sang greek songs and then some Lady Gaga :) Everyone jumped on stage at one point and they did the traditional greek dancing, with one person in the middle and everyone else kneeling around. We had a blast at the bizooki, and didn't get home until 5 am! This was not the best idea, since we were going to Delphi the next day, but it was SO worth it!!!! 

Saturday, Alex showed up bright and early with breakfast so we had no choice to get up! We made it to the bus station and took the 10:30 bus to Delphi. It took about 3 hours so we had lunch when we got off, and the view was amazing. There was water, houses, pine trees, mountains and it was all green and so beautiful. We hiked up the ruins and saw where the oracle would officiate! We sat up there for a while, the weather was perfect and it was just so nice to be there. We also saw the ancient sanctuary of Athena, which is what is on most of the post cards from Delphi. I decided I am completely in love with it and would go back in a heartbeat! Pictures to come soon!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment